PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A question about communication from SLF
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2010, 21:49
JWP1938

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A question about communication from SLF

Unless I have missed it (both here and on flights): aircraft have constant (hopefully) communication with the nearest (at least) ATC, other aircraft and maybe more. A couple of years ago on an easyJet flight from Belfast to Gatwick we had a problem taking off due to a snowstorm. Twice sent back to the stand and de-iced. The pilot (excellent man) spoke to us personally and told us he had been on to the company etc. etc. He didn't say how he had spoken to them but the discussion was obviously whether to cancel or hold for possible better weather. This long preamble is leading to my question: do aircraft have radio communications with their Ops department and, if not, why not? If so then what sort of circumstances has this been useful (or not) to some of you? In our particular case the pilot (presumably after speaking to Ops for advice) went for the take off in what seemed to me blinding snow (obviously his decision and not Ops) and flew us successfully into Gatwick at about 3.30 am instead of about 11pm.