PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'Phase advance filter'
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2002, 01:52
helmet fire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
John,

I agree with your comments about the PT6 (and the 707). I thought the 214ST was fitted with a GE T700 variant as opposed to the B212 PT6 fit out - thus causing some quite distinct differences in engine warning systems that relate to the comments I made about this incident. The T700 has some intresting traps, and I was told that this incident was a good example of those traps. The pilots did exactly what they were trained to do, but remember, I wasn't there in the cockpit, and so I was talking out of turn.

What exactly happened?

t'aint,

I understand your point about low inertia heads, but even you have brought up the point that we were putting to you earlier - the yaw. This should work as a warning bell just like the RRPM horn. The total picture for a (single engine aircraft) engine failure includes yaw (you can see and feel it), RRPM decay (you can hear it), and a pitch attitude change (you can see and feel it) ON TOP OF audios and warning lights. In a low power descent, however, you may have to rely soley upon the engine out light to help.

Note that I wasn't advocating the removal of the audio horns, just that reacting to the horn with no other indications can make you come unstuck. I am not even saying that I am immune from that reaction, because I know I am not: I have done just that in the simulator. I now hope that in the real case, I will not revert to my original training that caused my red face in the sim - because it is alot uglier in the real world. In other words, I hope that I can practice what I preach!!