PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Easterlies at EGLL today
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2010, 08:20
Jenson Button

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to say I'm a bit concerned with what appears to be a vain attempt to fit what appears to be a very big square object into a tight round hole.

Arrived last night at about 19.00z with 15-20 min delays. Fine can understand that the traffic is busy at that time of day; but why on earth is there only the ONE vehicle to do runway inspections when two are required to the job in the gap required ? There is no slack in the arrival rate at these peak times to cater for this sort of inefficiency. I'd hazard due to lack of manpower - not a dig at the ops guys but you can't be two places at once and it seems there is a thin coverage at best of times.

In amongst this we have WIP at exits where most of the short-haul traffic needs to vacate in order to keep the arrival rate high. Even some of the heavy traffic vacate at the wip exits if they are light, so why not co-ordinate a bit more traffic onto 09R ? Do atc still have restrictions on operating deps from 09L and arrivals onto 09R - I seem to remember reading something recently that suggested this ought to be possible in the near future ?

The potential for go-arounds must surely increase with the demands of keeping the arrival rate high, the constraint of sticking in a massive gap for one poor ops inspection vehicle and traffic maintaining a high speed 100knt taxi in order to vacate asap after the wip.

It just seems a bit over-ambitious.

Jenson