PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Any recruitment likely at Easy?
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2010, 00:09
Norman Stanley Fletcher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Major Cleve Saville - you are indeed right in saying that I was once a DEC, and also that I am opposed to their further employment. The two positions are entirely compatible. Many people know who I am, and where I came from, so there are no secrets out there. I joined from another company in 2004 and applied online to come to easyJet as a First Officer. My background was that I had previously been a turboprop Training Captain, but was at that time an A320 F/O in a different airline. When I turned up for the interview at easyLand, they told me they were taking a number of Airbus-experienced FOs as DECs and asked if I would like to be one. Like every other person with a brain in their head who was offered the same deal, I discussed the matter with myself for around a tenth of a second and said 'Yes'. I am not aware of a single qualified FO at easyJet at that time who was disadvantaged by what happened, and took the job that was offered to me with much gratitude. The reality was that easyJet required Airbus Captains at a rate they could not generate internally - under such circumstances the employment of DECs seems an acceptable, and indeed necessary, decision for any company. Under the circumstances that exist today where we have hundreds of suitably qualified FOs, then the employment of DECs would be outrageous. I therefore fail to see what your complaint is - my position is completely consistent.

For those that are interested in such matters, there will be over 160 internal promotions at easyJet in the next year. In addition, we will employ 300 new cadet pilots and will internally promote over 20 new Training Captains. As I have said many times before, we are not perfect. Nonetheless, figures like that should lead to some rejoicing by even those with the emptiest of glasses.

Last edited by Norman Stanley Fletcher; 8th Oct 2010 at 16:24. Reason: To change incorrect date of 1994 to 2004 - apologies to all!