PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Easterlies at EGLL today
View Single Post
Old 7th Oct 2010, 21:12
camelfeeder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OLNEY 2D... If you were established around 16:20 local today I can give you an answer why you were vectored so far West. There are relatively new procedures for runway inspections at Heathrow. It is intended that one large gap is provided so that 2 vehicles can inspect the runway thoroughly without having to vacate the runway. This is usually around 15nm. Today the gap required was 22nm due to only one vehicle being available. (Bit of a disgrace if you ask me). This is hard to judge at the best of times, especially on Easterlies as you are so far from the stacks. We were also having to provide wider spacing due to the work in progress affecting the turn off for 09L.

Ok enough of the excuses! We misjudged it and had too many off the stacks. I must admit I was in the mind set that it was to be a normal 15nm gap, I realised pretty late on that 22nm was required.!!. Being in the middle of a dose of Malaria tablets that are not agreeing with my bouls this was not ideal! At this point the EGLL airshow began. I think 26miles was about as bad as it got for you guys but a quick exit to the toilet soon after revealed I had suffered far more than you.
Hope you enjoyed the tour.