PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What of the next 18 months for Australian Aviation ?
Old 14th Aug 2002, 21:52
Dehavillanddriver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
QANTAS will continue to expand through Australian Airlines and Impulse etc. The mainline operation won't in my opinion grow all that much - the growth brought about by the introduction of the 800's will be discounted by the farming out of the older 300's to either NZ or a contract operator to do the marginal routes.

Heard a rumour yesterday that QF had ordered A320's but think the source is getting confused between 320's and 330's - though they did insist it was both....

Virgin will continue to expand into markets that would not be considered traditional jet routes but still make money out of those routes. The sydney terminal will eventually resolve itself once the shareholders of the various companies that own SACL jump up and down about getting no rent for the ex AN terminal.

Virgin will evolve to become less no frills but still low cost - a kind of hybrid - not a full service airline like QF but not a cheapie like Ryanair..more of a Jetblue in the US type operator.

SIA will decide that there really isn't too much to be gained by competing directly against either Virgin or QF. QF have the market share to beat them stupid and the Virgin demographic isn't what they need to make the required return on investment.

The regionals will be turbulent - with the final outcome yet to be seen in my humble opinion. A regional with no oncarriage is a regional with a limited future. The future of Alliance, REX etc will be interesting to watch - I hope they can do it right and not hurt the loyal employees that have stuck with them thus far.

So in conclusion - who knows! The future is anyones guess - I never thought AN would fall over - but now that it has all bets are off and here is hoping we can all emerge out the other end more or less intact!