PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Eurowings
Thread: Eurowings
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2002, 20:24
Lavdumperer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eurowings

Just read the press release about Eurowings starting a new low-cost scheduled carrier based at Cologne using 5 A319s currently used for charter. The carrier will be called "Germanwings" and will eventually serve 10-20 European destinations using a low-cost/low-fare business model.

Hmmmm - sounds familiar. I know that Virgin Express is also opening a low-fare base at Cologne using 737-300/400 aircraft. I also believe that Germania is striking a deal with Hapag Lloyd (not certain of that) to begin a low-cost venture using a lot of 737NG aircraft. Easyjet may buy Deutsche BA and expand its low-fare model throughout Germany (and elsewhere). Meanwhile Ryanair is bolstering Hahn outside of Frankfurt with its ubiquitous 737-800s. Add to these airlines all of the regular German charter carriers like Air Berlin, LTU and Condor flying scheduled service to holiday destinations like Palma and Antalya and you have a lot of low-cost/low-fare flights...

Sounds like a beneficial trend for the travelers - but difficult competition ahead for a lot of Euro carriers... I know Lufthansa has a sizable stake in Eurowings/Germanwings, but this low-fare pressure can't be good on margins (excluding long-haul)...

Cheers