PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rejecting a 7700?
View Single Post
Old 7th Oct 2010, 05:59
SKS777FLYER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vid1977
I recall an incident a year ago where an aeroflot aircraft with a medical emergency was denied landing in the US and had to land in Canada. The reason given was that the flight had departed from Cuba.

I donīt remember the whole story, and I imagine that a medical emergency is not a bomb threat, but I remember reading in the papers that it is the US policy to deny landing to any aircraft, of any airline, coming from Cuba, even in case of an emergency. Is this true?
Don't know, but I do know that several U.S. carriers have regular service between the U.S. and Cuba. American Airlines flew a daily 727 back in the 90's to Jose Marti from Miami. The flights operated as Special Authorization Charters and as far as I know AA still has some flights to Cuba from Mia along with American Eagle.
Also, for decades now, U.S. air Carriers have traversed across Cuban airspace mostly for cities on the South American continent. Don't know what the ATC charges are these days, but back in the early 90's, the charges were about $165 each way per flight. The Cuban controllers were, I think among the top tier of controllers thruout North, Central and South America. Effecient and generally helpful, offering direct routings on request and often offering direct routings on initial contact with Havana Center.