Old 7th Oct 2010, 02:58
GENKI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just released by the FAAA

Send all correspondence to [email protected]
7 October 2010

Attention all Long Haul Cabin Crew
A330 AND A380 REDUCED CREW

Members would be aware via the FAAA and recent media reports that the Company has decided to remove a crew member from the A330 and A380 aircraft.
This comes at a time when the Australian dollar is travelling at the highest point in many years, the cost of fuel is down on previous highs and aircraft are full everyday as a result of increased confidence and the power of the Australian dollar.
Furthermore, you would not be aware unless you had logged into a crew voice that the level of engagement of Cabin crew is once again sliding towards 2004 levels. Dissatisfaction with the way we are being managed coupled with the now reduced crew numbers should make for an interesting impact on the next engagement survey later in the year.
It beggars belief that whilst Qantas has the lofty ideal of being the world's best premium carrier that we could reduce the crew that are the 'very' product that is the purpose of the whole bloody airline.
How less crew can improve service levels is quite frankly beyond me as a CSM and your elected spokesperson.
I noted with some chagrin that an invitation arrived via email to a cocktail evening with the "leadership team' to celebrate our contribution to service excellence. I presume a number of my OBM colleagues have been similarly invited. I will not be attending and I would suggest that those of you that feel similarly slapped in the face for our hard work might want to take a similar principled stand and do likewise. Many of you have asked what can we do to let the Company know how we feel and clearly this is one way.
Normally these things are a way of thanking OBM's for their efforts as often these efforts involve much or their own time and a huge personal commitment. Sadly with my colleagues being required to work harder with fewer resources with this de-crewing, I don't think that there is anything I am particularly keen to celebrate.
This reduction in crew will have direct impact on our flight attendant colleagues and we want you to know that the FAAA will be doing everything we can to have this ridiculous decision reviewed by Senior Management.
Finally, for purposes of comparing our reduced crewing (on the A380) to Singapore Airlines and Emirates (the two that Qantas likes to make comparisons with); we inform members Singapore Airlines operates with 23 crew on its A380 and Emirates operates with 24 crew plus two cabin crew assistants.
Our management has decided that 21 crew are enough on our self proclaimed flagship, the A380 and that 9 crew are sufficient on the A300-300. Another brilliant decision that will aid us to compete with Emirates and Singapore Airlines. No wonder we mere mortal cabin crew only get 3% pay rises but senior executives get massive increases. Obviously, they deserve their big increases based on brilliant strategic decisions like de-crewing.

Written by Steven Reed - President International Division
and authorised by Michael Mijatov - Secretary International Division

20 Ewan Street Mascot NSW 2020 Tel 61 2 8337 1111 Fax 61 2 8337 1122 Emergency Contact 0414 894 192 FAAA.net