PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EASA threat to operation of N Reg Aircraft
Old 6th Oct 2010, 16:33
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A possible scaremongering comment. Even "residing in" is yet to be defined - yet alone how it might impact a non Euro citizen.
If the EASA proposal to stop an EU "resident" flying an N-reg is taken at face value, the impact on a visiting American would be exactly the same once he satisfies the "residency" requirement, whatever that is.

And if you don't believe the "residency" requirement has any meaning then all of this stuff is just hot air and we can forget about talking about it!

Sure the AOPA wording is not quite joined up, but then how many UK pilots understand FAR 61.3 and how it maps onto Europe, etc. The point is that AOPA is making a lot of fuss, finally, which could be improved only by hiring Max Clifford (but UK AOPA cannot afford him, by a long way... they would have to remortgage their nice London premises ). AOPA has had an ambiguous stance on N-reg for years and finally they have lined up behind this very important cause, which is to be applauded.

10540 will you please refrain from referring to me in this forum
Actually I think we are of similar age...

the proposal is to make all domiciled eu pilots have eu licences to fly there eu based FAA aircraft

It's not a ban on FAA n registered aircraft. Well not yet
Correct, but it is a big discouragement to flying an N-reg in Europe. The Euro IR has historically been the biggest reason for the N-reg scene.

Higher up the hardware cost scale, bizjets, airframe/equipment certification becomes more important, but equally the cost of obtaining the duplicate Euro CPL/IR or ATP papers is so much higher, with 14 exams etc.

There are many N-reg planes which could not be economically transferred to a Euro reg. They have decades of 337'd mods which would be an EASA Design agency's delight for years to come. I know a man who spent something like £8000 on paperwork for a composite oxygen cylinder for a SEP, to replace an existing steel one. Especially in many European countries, where the local CAA is totally bonkers. In some "warm Europe" places, putting a TB20 on the local reg is not much different to putting a 737 on the local reg.