PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ILS & Autothrottle
View Single Post
Old 6th Oct 2010, 14:49
411A

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With all this automation it seems to me, things are made far more complicated then actually necessary.
Not only that, but now we see more 'automation' accidents that one might expect.
Turkish Air at AMS was a perfect example.

When SV started to acquire their L1011 aircraft, it was (at the time) the first truly automated airliner in service
Autoland, autothrust (very reliable), FMS with all the usual functions (the first one, actually, with full time engine thrust management) and the training department stressed that the 'automation' be used to the maximum extent possible.
However, when the FAA came to town to administer new type ratings for Captains, the FAA inspector did not want to see any automation used, with the exception of an autocoupled approach...they weren't interested in FMS functions, the inspector wanted to see...(shock, horror) good old fashioned hand flying skills demonstrated.
I knew a couple of these FAA guys rather well, and they were no-nonsense types that insisted that actual flying skills be maintained, no matter what.
My opinion?
They were absolutely correct.