PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do we need an Independant Nuclear Deterrant?
Old 6th Oct 2010, 13:31
vernon99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BHR

Considering over the last 7 years or so, we have made ourselves public enemy number one in a lot of countries, without a nuclear option, how would we defend against a rogue state?
How do you suggest we protect ourselves from the likes of Iran, Korea etc? What if Korea's new leader decides to try his new long range ballistic missile against us? We don't have conventional forces large enough to retaliate on the battlefield, or do we cross our fingers and hope he misses, or that someone else will help us?
It is a cliché but we do not know what tomorrow holds, as we deplete oil reserves around the world, how long before nations are reduced to fighting over what's left? Already we have Russia, Canada etc trying to claim more of the Arctic for themselves.
Do you think peace will prevail? that we will all make it home for tea and medals? You might think so, I don't. I think the future is very uncertain, but if it ever comes to the crunch and countries start fighting over resources, I would rather have the biggest stick available. It is not THAT expensive in the grand scheme of things.