PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CZAR 52 Accident aerodynamics
View Single Post
Old 6th Oct 2010, 12:33
perrdan86

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hi John,
yes i have. My thoughts are that;
- he entered the initial turn, banking to about 45 degrees with an appropriate airspeed
- however, as can be seen in the still shots, as the aircraft rounds the control tower, both spoilers are deployed which is also the airbrake 2 position, therefore slowing the aircraft?
- i think then pilot attempts to move to a 60 degree AOB therefore flattening the right spoiler, leaving the left one deployed to further disrupt airflow over the left wing, incresing drag on this wing and reducing lift and increasing the AOB.
- however, i think, the aircraft was travelling below the stall speed for a 60 AOB, therefore causing the wing to stall,
- Th problem is compounded by the fact swept wings stall from the tip first. As the lowered wing reaches its critical angle first, it will stall before the top wing, it will produce a strong rolling moment due to the long moment arm from the outer sections of the wing to the centre of gravity.
- At this point not only is there a strong rolling moment produced by the stall on the lower wing, but the upper wing will have reached its critical angle also, stalling and losing any lift production it had left. The aircraft continues to bank to 90 degree, whilst doing so appears to be experience a yawing movement.
- due to all of this occurring at such a low altitude, and that a typical response to spoiler deflection is 3 seconds, any action taken by the pilot to correct once at around 60 degrees AOB it is to late.

does this seem like its on the right track? does sideslip play a roll in this aswell?
thanks for responding!!
much appreciated
daniel