PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mega Merged: REX Recruitment/Cadetship and Working for REX
Old 6th Oct 2010, 12:18
KRUSTY 34

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Swings and Roundabouts brissydriver. Up untill 6 months ago, and for the previous year, REX policy was to hire only Cadets. Blind Freddy could see that would lead to problems about....NOW! Lots of pilots on the hold files for Jetstar and Virgin, and 3 Captains departed 2 weeks ago. Reserve coverage for Captains now becoming critical again, with many working on their days off!

The few direct entry guys that were taken on 6 months ago are starting to come on line as F/O's. Now even though they may have the hours for a SAAB command, it doesn't mean that they will progress to command without any problems. (for obvious reasons). The exact number of direct entry F/O's that have been employed in the last 6 months, I couldn't tell you, but it's not many. Probably in the order of 4-6. The problem is that REX have committed to employ the graduating Cadets as part of their contract (fair enough too), but this has created a juggling act with regard to F/O numbers.

Some current F/O's were employed 2-3 years ago when REX relaxed their entry requirements as the pool of higher time applicants dried up. These guys are now well experienced F/O's and IMHO most would make good Captains. Problem is, many of them are still short of the 2000 hours Total (bearing in mind they have been accumulating hours at Co-pilot rate, only 50%) or are short of the required night hours for the ATPL, or they are short of Multi-Command, or they haven't completed their subjects, or even a combination of all of these! I would estimate approx 10-15 pilots in this catagory.

My understanding is that all direct entry F/O's must now have at least 2000 hours Total aeronautical experience, ATPL, and at least 350 hours Multi-Command under the IFR. Crikey! Management reminds me of my pet Jack Russell chasing its tail.

As far as Direct Entry Commands go, they can only be considered once all the qualified existing F/O's are used. A few pilots are nearing the minimum requirement, and several are under training at the moment. REX avoided Direct Entry Commands last time, as even they realise it can produce widely varying results. The departure rate of pilots in the near future however will determine just how critical the situation again becomes.