PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA panel proposes that airline co-pilot standards be raised
Old 6th Oct 2010, 09:58
Squawk7777

Location: formally Alamo battleground, now the crocodile with palm trees!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grrr Re: US Airlines

Advantage in Europe is that all JAR23(FAR23) JAR25(FAR25) aircraft require a type rating for both crew members. Plus some single pilot aircraft defined by authorities.
What exactly is the advantage? Are you suggesting that the US (regional) carriers put their first officer right into the airplane after they get their picture taken? You obviously do not know anything about airline training in the US. It does vary from carrier to carrier, but to suggest that a EU co-pilot is a better trained and capable pilot just because he holds a type rating (which is nothing more but a paperwork exercise) is more than just being ignorant. I was actually quite shocked that the carrier I flew for in the UK has no recurring oral examinations (regarding memory items, a/c systems etc.). The UK/JAA LOFT-type checkride was a walk in the park compared to the recurring checkride I had to go through in the US. Plus, my US carrier demanded certain hand flying maneuvers (circling) which is/was a big no-no at the UK carrier.

It simply makes life easier as you know what training the other guy got before sitting in his seat. Additionally a type rating requires a skill test defining a certain level of training. To get a type rating for multi-pilot aircraft the minimum requirement is CPL/IR with multi engine rating (MEP) and completed initial CRM and MCC (Multi Crew Cooperation) course including SIM sessions.
In the days before SIC rating, all 121 co-pilots had (and still have) to pass a (121.439 I believe) checkride, which is the equivalent of your mighty skill test. MCC and CRM are also required by the FAA for part 121. And it is also practiced in the sim usually on a LOFT session. As previously mentioned, the training course outline varies from carrier to carrier but it has to be approved by the FAA.

The highly-praised type-rating is therefore nothing more than paperwork and ink on your license. F/O's in the US go through the same type of training. Please people stop making comments about the FAA certification/training if you don't know anything about it.

Come to think of it, some EU F/O's have type ratings but not even 1500 hours yet. From an hour requirement's/legal view they couldn't even fly PIC/P1 with a PIC/P1 TR.

Difference between EU and US in co-pilot training? A piece of paper with ink. And there are also good and bad apples on both sides.

Last edited by Squawk7777; 6th Oct 2010 at 10:33.