PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aero Engineering Degrees / University pilot courses (Merged)
Old 6th Oct 2010, 09:44
EK4457

Location: A place where something is or could be located; a site.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dis.I.Like,

glad you seem to have changed your attitude. You'll get an awful lot more from PPRUNE when you come across as being good chap with enthusiasm.

I'd start to really look at the many ways of getting what is known as a 'frozen ATPL' because it will probably take you a while to get a feel for the system and choose what is right for you. For this, the search function on PPRUNE will keep you busy for weeks. It's all here.

On the subject of your uni plan, I still say its is a silly way of funding training. If you really want to go to uni, can afford it, and are seriously considering another (degree related) career then go for it. However, look at this very realistic comparison;

If you finish A levels and get (for example) an apprentiship with an engineering comapny you could well be earning a graduate salary by the age of 21/22. You could save £10k over the previous 3/4 years. Compare that with a graduate who is on similar money but £20k of debt. You are roughly £30k better off by 22 years old. Thats a CPL right there.

As said previously, the idea behind a graduate scheme is that you will be better off eventually, but the 'break even' point is many years down the line. Possibly decades. It is not a way to make short term cash.

I went to uni and got a 'top' graduate job. Soon after I met a good friend from school who left at 16 to become a joiner. He was earning nearly twice what I was. And I had £22k of debt.

Given the chance again, I'd definately NOT go to uni, despite the fun i had.

Just out of interest,

Ghengis said

many maths A-level syllabi now having dropped calculus
Is this true?!

EK