PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot shortage in EK
View Single Post
Old 6th Oct 2010, 04:53
abZorbatheleak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Folks,

I recently did a flight with a GCAA inspector. A few things were mentioned:

-By January/February next year there will be an anonymous reporting system direct to the GCAA.

-Factoring of ULR flights is going to stop.

-EK did ask for an hour increase to 1000 a year and that was rejected by the GCAA, that won't change any time soon.

-GCAA working with clinic to establish a credible fatigue monitoring program as well as establish an annual hour limit for cabin crew.

-Calling in fatigued will be indicated as such on your roster NOT sick.

I was quite impressed with the audit and found that the inspectors were aware of all the things the crew are unhappy about. They did tell me that without paperwork from us, their hands are tied. I also got the impression that the GCAA are desperate to remedy as many of the issues as possible and that they operate as an autonomous regulator not controlled or influenced by any airline.

On a different note. I heard that the FAA is in town doing an audit on the GCAA and that flight and duty is at the top of the agenda. Other than the layover periods for ULR flights they would also like to have an 8 hour maximum flight time with a 2 man crew. I can't vouch for this though. Maybe someone else can give us the scoop.