PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF SAR vs Air Ambulance
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2010, 23:24
explorer99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While it is, and always has been, highly commendable that the RAF SAR Force tries its level best to pass the message to the civilian emergency services control room staff, unfortunately it's simply never going to achieve the success it seeks.

The SAR Force is a small organisation with very limited capacity for such 'outreach' - there is only so much that a very small number of people can achieve. On the civ police side alone, there are more than 40 individual forces in the UK, many of which have a number of control rooms for separate areas within the force. Each control room has a large number of staff, only a proportion of whom will be in work if a SAR Force rep visits to spread the word and most of those who are there will be busy doing their jobs. In addition, police control rooms are inundated with a huge number of tasks, very few of which have any similarity to SAR tasking; looking at the computer screen next to me I see that my force generated 865 'logs' yesterday alone, and that was on a Tuesday well removed from the Thu / Fri / Sat public order hotspots. Further scale the problem up to include the ambulance control rooms and the scale of the task becomes even more daunting, hence why I stated that it would be nice for the ARCC staff (ie the 'experts') to be a little more forthcoming with supporting info when declining a request.

Top tip - the ideal people at which the SAR Force's efforts should be targeted would be the police Force Duty Officers (FDOs) - they are few in number but extremely influential and present in every control room -rather than trying to brief every member of staff in each control room. SAR boys & girls, you might want to consider this approach!

Keep up the good work, y'all.

E99