PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Canadian in the Middle-east? how do you...
Old 5th Oct 2010, 17:22
Willie Everlearn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bugg smasher has it wired.

I returned to Canada from the Sandbox just prior to the millenium.

I tried working for two of our more notable carriers (both no longer in operation I might add).

Simply stated, I couldn't get my head around either operation so I had to find something else to do that was more compatible for my own sanity. Let's be honest, no Canadian carrier will treat you the same way as any foreign carrier despite 'locals'. Despite changing agreements.

As much as I thought the sandbox was getting worse and worse contributing to my desire to leave when I did, it was one of the dumbest moves I've ever made.
Re-patriating after a decade was worse than the 2 years it took me to adjust to the sandbox. Full stop.

I realize, it's a personal choice, but I flew my last Canadian registered aircraft in 2001. Perhaps I should put it this way, I've flown my last Canadian registered aircraft and have no intention to do otherwise for the remainder of whatever time I have left to maintain any of my 3 ATPLs.

There are NO dream jobs here in Canada. (pardon my sarcasm, but)
Air Canada is probably the most stable, but then you'd have to join ACPA. One of the silliest, most selfish, most narrow minded pilot unions on the planet.
Westjet is probably stable career wise, but, they're more interested in who-you-know than they are in qualifications and experience. So, being out of the country for several years is likely to drop you into a void with their system.
Air Transat are more concerned about your ability to speak french than they are about your qualifications and experience.
What I hear about Canjet is that they are living on borrowed time run by amateurs who've very little experience beyond Air Atlantic. As for the way they operate a 737, I'm told if it's good enough for Southwest it's good enough for Canjet.
Perhaps any of these are to your liking. Your call.

As bad as the sandbox may seem, it will always be what you make it. Don't listen to dissenters. Make your own life there and enjoy the tax free living as much as you can for as long as you can. Coming home will knock the life out of you no matter what colour the leaves are and no matter what season it is.

Just wait till you get a taste of the Reform Party (presently confused by most Canadians for the Conservative Party) minority government.

Willie

Last edited by Willie Everlearn; 5th Oct 2010 at 17:37.