PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BRISTOL - 4
Thread: BRISTOL - 4
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2010, 16:54
Silvertop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Challenging

I think the argument here is does a challenging environment erode safety? And given the same set of circumstaces would the result of been the same at that other strip of tarmac a few miles north of Brs? who knows?, not me thats for sure.

Of course there is no such thing as absolute safety, but there are times certainly when saftey can be eroded beyond an acceptable level, when the runway at Brs was being resurfaced for example.

Having operated at and enjoyed Brs for many a year, there is no doubt that it can be a very challenging environment, especially 09 on a dark, wet, windy night. So do we then just have to work harder to maintain an acceptable level of safety, as I suppose we have to do at many other challenging airports?

Very often when writing down the ATIS the numbers will say "in limits" and an approach can be flown, but the numbers cannot convey the reality of the conditions that might be experienced on that approach. Local experience here counts a great deal in being able to visualise the potential problems in those numbers, then its a bit of forewarned is forearmed.

I don't think anyone is critisizing the standards at the airport or the people that work at it. Its just a question of topography and prevailing weather really.

There is not a pilot anywhere upon hearing about this unfortunate incident that has not muttered the often repeated phrase "there but for the grace of God go I".

Cheers Silvertop

Last edited by Silvertop; 5th Oct 2010 at 20:20.