PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - the devil's advocate, september in oz
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2010, 12:53
topendtorque

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the devil's advocate, september in oz

This is the time of year when aircraft crash, I've been busy away on other things and this device has been at the doctor's for a month or so.

I get a chance to get back here and what happens? aircraft crashes all over. One in NZ today, the fatal one in the NT yesterday, another in the NT few weeks before that, then there is a rumour?? that no less than three R22's crashed in separate accidents in Queensland today.

I sure would like someone to tell me that this is all bulloney, one driver was airlifted to Mt Isa I heard.

In reality it is the time of year when the weather turns sharply hotter and the surface winds vary very unpredicably and gustily. Indeed I read somewhere of a recent coronial in Perth referring to another September accident of a few years ago and there are plenty others that I can think of.

Further back I remember that over a period of twelve or so years, the three largest northern Australian companies accumulating something like in excess of 300,000 hours on shooting operations, I.e two up and a big bucket of ammunition, right through September, October and November when it really got hot, with only two accidents in total for those operations.

Mentoring was the key then and maybe that is what is missing now, I wonder what the fabled safety committee are doing about it all?

tet