PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Officer possibly misidentified
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2010, 11:37
rlsbutler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
QCVS, MiD etc

It was the QCVS on the photograph that got me to start this thread. On ACM Bryant’s bar of medals, the emblem is simply messy.

When I was young one only saw the QCVSA, as worn by Tankertrashnav’s former boss, separate from a medal ribbon. The MiD would always be mounted on a GSM or (among the older gentry) the 1945 Victory medal.

When I was briefly an ADC, I took a professional interest in the fact that the “semi-detached” emblem should be worn on a pretend medal ribbon matching the cloth of the underlying jacket. In my then circle, whether or not attached to full-size medals or miniatures, any of the Queen’s Commendations would have had to be re-dressed for pale blue, khaki, white and black backgrounds. More of a punishment than an award !

One can imagine a gaudy but correct civilian awardee choosing to take part in a Remembrance Day ceremony in a tartan jacket …

While Group Captain Bryant was being awarded his QCVS, Lt William Sasser USCG was awarded the AFC. Might the powers-that-be have started thinking in his case in terms of QCVSA and decided that the Americans would simply not have understood something so odd ?

Is anyone interested in a bit of a campaign to give these good people a proper medal ?

My own preference would be for the retrospective issue of the last commemorative medal to carry the appropriate leaf symbol. In civilian circles these have often been allocated as a poor man’s MBE. ACM Bryant wears the Golden Jubilee 2002 medal and, if my suggestion works, could simply transfer the emblem to its ribbon.

Comments ?