PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Man dies in NT helicopter crash 4 Oct 2010
Old 5th Oct 2010, 09:29
topendtorque

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
and this

Popular pilot killed in mustering crash - 05/10/2010

A 29-year-old cattleman was killed yesterday when his R-22 helicopter crashed near Katherine.

Brodie Hitchner was mustering on Mountain Valley Station when it's believed the tail rotor of the helicopter clipped trees, forcing it to crash on a creek bank.

Long-time friend Bill Bright says Brodie Hitchner was a lovely young man who he met on the campdraft circuit.

"He was quite a keen and competitive campdrafter when he was a young fella and he came up and worked for me for 12 months at Kiana Station.

"I had a helicopter on Kiana and from the time he got there he decided that that's what he wanted to do, be a helicopter pilot.

"A cursory glance at history would suggest that he was a good pilot and a careful pilot. Up until this, he had no prior history of accidents or incidents as far as I'm aware.

"He was a useful, knowledgeable helicopter pilot and a great asset to the cattle industry."

A team from the Australian Transport Safety Bureau is expected to arrive at Mountain Valley Station today to investigate the crash.