PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aero Engineering Degrees / University pilot courses (Merged)
Old 4th Oct 2010, 20:41
ProfChrisReed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird that, I managed 95% in my AS level History exam and yet I do not know how to write clear English. If I'd wanted any smart ass comments I would've posted on Yahoo Answer's not here.

And MK you say that on average a graduate earns less than £20k. On which average? The average Imperial College graduate earns almost £29k, and even the average Bath graduate earns around the £24k mark. According to the Times anyway.

Was this reply written clearly enough and researched well enough for you Genghis?
So you've proved you can do it - compare it with your first post.

This was valuable lesson No. 1 - to those a generation or more older than you, the use of language in your first post suggests that you are careless and not very bright. Think of these people as Employers. Don't alienate them.

Valuable lesson No. 2 is also present in the replies: if you can't be bothered to do any research before asking, and thus frame your questions more precisely, then you're almost certainly not suitable Employee material. There were two pieces of research you should have undertaken: (a) discovering what qualifications you would need for your proposed aviation career - 10 minutes via Google would have answered this, and you could then have asked more pertinent questions; and (b) the nature of the forum you were posting to - had you read a few of the threads you would (or should) have realised that your posting would annoy those whose answers you sought.

I know all this seems harsh, but school insulates you from the realities of life. Imagine you are a potential employer sifting 500 applications. Those whose first paragraph reads like your initial post are rejected without reading further - you cannot spend 30 minutes to read the rest and deduce that this person might be worth seeing. If you want to be taken seriously, you must make the effort to connect with your audience.