PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Parliamentary Questions concerning Hercules Safety
Old 4th Oct 2010, 19:17
nigegilb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hpt, the same flt cdr explained why crews were flying day low level in Afghanistan the explanation he gave at the inquest did not even acknowledge the risk to the fuel tanks. It was to do with the danger of flying into the terrain at night. I doubt he even understood the risk. The video was never shown on the flight and he admitted he couldn't even recall seeing the pack up. It might interest you to know that at one stage the flight were the only outfit in afg willing to fly low level ops in the day time. And I include US spec ops hercules aircraft fitted with foam. Some of the flight air engineers submitted evidence that they were not aware of the need for foam. How much of the Inquest did you actually listen to?

How much day operational low level has been done since the crash?

I doubt, reading your posts that you have read the vulnerability analysis report carried out by TAT before ops in Afg kicked off. I am not aware of ANY serving members of the flight having seen those reports at this time or the time of the crash. The only guy who understood the risk left shortly after his attempt to raise the issue. I understand your point, but the routine day low level ops all started in afg. I am not sure the leadership was ever on receive.

Last edited by nigegilb; 4th Oct 2010 at 23:34.