PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions II
View Single Post
Old 4th Oct 2010, 14:33
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
I have sympathies for the long term BA folks that have tried to keep 'the old style' of customer service, as much as for those that support WW however ...

Having been working in various areas for 33 years, in many different types of organisations (very small to global PLC) and in different companies etc. etc. I can say that those big companies that retain 'the old style' are very few and reducing by the month.

I was brought up in the 'Look after the company and the company will look after you' era but have seen that evaporate in my working time. Big companies are held to the mark by shareholders that are now often a millstone not a long stop and the list of reasons why this has all changed is very, very long. Yes, Unions are in there as they [some] have not changed their tune but the basic problem of a country that is still running down the hill from the good times is everywhere. Lastly, the global changes are remarkable to behold and they have a LOT further yet to run.

So - is it right for everyone to have a bitch? Yes!!! Because EVERYONE is affected and no one group can be singled out due to the fact that the current BA situation has been cooking up for 30 years. As I have said before, previous managers of BA (along with their cosy pals on the Board) have all failed in their management of the company - even Colin Marshall did not regain control of all areas but had enough money coming in the front door that he could continue to shovel it out the back.

All areas of commerce and civil service (local + national) have had to re-align themselves in the past 20 years and the airline biz is one of them. BA, being so large, is almost inevitably the last to have to do so. Not nice but every other worker in the UK has had/will have, the same story to tell.

Customer Service? Every customer wants it and almost no customer is willing to pay for it.