PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Back complaint - medical checks affect employment?
Old 4th Oct 2010, 14:23
beany

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
‘Slipped disk’ refers to abnormal protrusion or bulging of an intervertebral disk from it’s normal anatomical position, usually (although not always) in a posterolateral direction. This can compress the corresponding nerve root as it exits the spine and cause neurological symptoms. Not always though.

No, flying blind without instruments is a doddle – I wouldn’t agree with this to be honest. I don’t think that flying blind without instruments would be a doddle at all. I may be quite stressful as tasks go.

I asked whether this person is a pilot? ATC? Does he/she have a medical? What medical are they after? That’s why I asked! There is no suggestion yet that he is actually flying. Please point me to where ‘flying blind’ or instrument flying is mentionned

I was simply suggesting that –

If it’s muscular as suspected by the patient and the physio and it’s not yet been given the time and treatment needed in the first instance AND there is worry about access to notes etc, why would you do a scan? It won’t help just at the moment. I’m not suggesting it won’t be needed, perhaps not just yet. Now if they had said – “I’ve got this back problem and physio is making it worse” that’s a different matter. That’s not been said, we don’t even know how old the injury is.

I’m not saying an MR is not needed, but more info is needed. Then the advice may be more specific, you see? Ask the right questions and you get the right answers.

Last edited by beany; 4th Oct 2010 at 14:27. Reason: MS word blarb!