PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How many people use a smartphone for "everything"?
Old 4th Oct 2010, 11:26
Slopey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One of the biggest barriers to just doing it on the phone for me is the AFPEx system being Java based, given we have to file on AFPEx even when going for a 40 minute bimble around the Aberdeen zone Although I can do it with logmein on the iPad which works ok to a certain extent.

(And Aberdeen didn't activate our outbound flight plan even after we'd used the damn thing to file it - but that's a different story)

Contrast that with filing a flight plan in France via Olivia - pure web forms, filed our plan from Cherbourg to Jersey in the cafe on the iPad in Safari, refreshed the web page a few mininutes later and it's all accepted.

Simple, easy, and completely device agnostic.

Originally Posted by IO540
I run pc/anywhere (a similar functional product) and the port forwarding and VPN etc config for that is beyond me.
Logmein doesn't require any VPN/port forwarding to be set up per se. On every machine I've tried so far, behind a variety of firewalls, it works without additional configuration (as it uses port 80 and 443 which are always open for web traffic anyway) - might be worth a look?