PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Canadian in the Middle-east? how do you...
Old 4th Oct 2010, 10:49
Panama Jack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your question leaves a bit of space for interpretation on what you mean by keeping the license "valid," but let me give it my best shot.

Q: Do you keep your TC license valid ? (is there even a point to do so?)

A: I do a Canadian medical about every two years to keep the option open to fly "C" registered aircraft recreationally. My friendly examiner is kind enough to do the complete the Canadian form at no additional charge, when I do my local medical, and TC sends me the medical about two months later.

I don't bother to do the IFR-- too expensive. TC has agreed with this and decided that scud running recreationa pilots is not the safest option for the system either. Expect possibly next year a new regulation removing the expiration date for the Instrument Rating from your licence. Currency provisions will become similar to what you have in the USA. Therefore, you will remain legally current based on your approaches and holds done in the simulator wherever you are employed (as long as you log them, of course).

Is there a point? Well, sure, once it gets economical enough it is just a bit of effort and about $55 CAD every two years. I don't mind that for the freedom of having the option of flying when on holiday.

Q: Having worked in the ME, how is your perception of the Canadian aviation industry?

A: It's "the dog's breakfast."

Q: Would you ever consider moving back and if yes for what airlines?

A: A little hard to say honestly. Near "home" there is scant little aviation, and I am unwilling to trade downwards into a Piper Navajo at this point in my career. It will be interesting when the Canadian aviation scene opens up to Cabotage by European carriers (thanks to the new aviation agreement between Europe and Canada). Who knows, perhaps I would apply for "Ryanair Canada" if they had the right base. But we are talking about a major financial hit.

The other thing that would have me consider moving back is if I were to be made reduntant through nationalization at my current employer. Then again, I am also working on a degree on the side and might look at something involving flying plus other activities.

Q: I can only shake my head in disbelief looking at the after-tax salaries offered in Canada: 1/2 if not a 1/3 of what we are making here.... Are there still any "dream jobs" left in Canada that would make your give up your current position in the ME?

You an me both. For years we were told by old salts "you have to pay your dues." Problem with Canada is that a large percentage never get beyond the point of paying their dues. Lets face it, the industry in Canada is rationalizing over time. The reason why there are opportunities in the ME, India, China, etc. is because of the rapid growth and that makes it a seller's market for pilots. One day (perhaps long time away) we probably won't be wanted or needed here either. Oman is leading that trend and countries like Bahrain, Kuwait and Saudi Arabia (in no particular order) are next in line.

I try to keep in mind that all jobs are "temporary"-- beit for 3 months or 30 years.

Good luck.

Last edited by Panama Jack; 4th Oct 2010 at 10:59.