PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sheffield Again
Thread: Sheffield Again
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2002, 11:45
Legs11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I'm sad to say that all I forecast at the beginning of the year has come true. A very sad day. Sheffield suffered from too short a runway (due to very bad advice), atrocious management (at board level - not day to day) and lack of inward investment.

The Airport did no have a "no GA policy" by the way zzzz, the problem was a restriction on the planning permission not allowing single engined aircraft.

As far as I'm aware the instrument approach gear is staying put, before removal to Finningley (decision made in March 2003, I believe!).

Peel although anything but blameless, did actually want to continue at a higher fire cat and were actively looking for commercial carriers, their problem was the partners Tinsley Park (original owners who sold 50%) who were just not interested and only want to develop the adjoining Business Park.

The Airport should have a life until 2005 as their is a 10 year deal with the local councils, requiring an airfield on the site, or all the land will be forfeited.

As 682 says, the ATC service is to be downgraded, 3 firemen are also being made redundant, and the remainign ones are being trained to undertake the A/G service in September.

One of the controllers is moving to Carlisle would you believe in a management role and another to Wolverhampton (hope that doesn't turn into a similar story).