PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas DC4 unusual attitude incident 55 years ago?
Old 4th Oct 2010, 04:42
Norman Wells

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Centaurus & HulaBula.

An update from a colleague

I have rung (xxxx) who was a great mate of Clydes, and he confirms the DC-4 was not Guam but Colombo. It is even in my log book, Oct. 23 1958. The S/O was in the left hand seat, Bill was in the right hand seat having a kip and Clyde was stretched out on the floor in the cockpit.

Normal procedure, draining a fuel tank to get the max. and watch the fuel pressure guage until it fluctuates, But pull back on the throttle while changing tanks until the pressure stabilises. Bit of a swing but no big deal. Passengers used to go a bit pale.

In this case the S/O did not pull the throttle back while changing tanks, then picked the wrong engine and feathered it. Good engine has now oversped. 2 out on one side. Clyde dragged himself forward and conducted the recovery. Bill had evidently switched off.

The tank selectors were quite good, much better than the DC.3, but we were always fuel marginal.

There was no crew rest except on the pax. flights where we had the last two seats in the cabin. On freighters you stretched out anywhere, preferably close to the controls.

Clyde died about 6 years ago,

Can't help with Jack Thomas.

If any further information comes to hand i will pass it on.
Regards.