PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Canadian in the Middle-east? how do you...
Old 4th Oct 2010, 03:17
bugg smasher
quidquid excusatio prandium pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually, there aren’t, according my northern friends. The last two wise-@rse posts shouldn’t discourage you though. That other orifice they speak from, hopefully the upcoming winter will freeze, if not completely shut, then at least frost-bite incoherent.

I detect a serious case of the expat blues here, very difficult to avoid, especially when the locals are gunning for you, in my experience mostly just for sport, and you haven’t seen home for a long time.

The trick, my friend, is to arrange a wide-body type for yourself, preferably with at least 1000 hours in command (generously provided by your current employer), then migrate to one of the Asian carriers that base their expats in North America. That way, you’ll see your family not only on days off, but also on layovers, assuming they fly to the city you live in, or a reasonable proximity thereof. Would be just like a regular airline gig at home, only with inverse commutes.

Barring that, a change in career, thought of it many times in the past myself. Spending your productive years in the service of a foreign and uncaring taskmaster, at the expense of happiness and family, is something you should weigh very carefully.