PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Anti-motion sickness pills
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2010, 23:00
dogle

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks, chic, and welcome. "long enough" on that hypothetical boat might in fact be just a few hours if you had taken a suitable precautionary med and, above all, were confident in its effectiveness (been there).

Genghis, your plight brings back the tale of an elderly aunt who suffered terribly from 'car sickness'; a great pity because her husband was a non-driver, and outings with other family members were otherwise a special treat. One day her brother (a former Army officer) announced at pre-outing briefing "We've managed to get hold of some of the special stuff which will fix your travel sickness. It is what we gave the troops going over on D-Day, totally effective - but don't ask how we came by it, you must never mention this to anyone!".

He produced a small, sealed glass vial. I can imagine her watching wide-eyed as the vial was cracked open and a few ml of colourless liquid were added to her cuppa.

The stuff was indeed totally effective; outing happily accomplished without a trace of sickness. I suspect that on return they spilled the beans and told her that the vial, prepared by son just previously, contained ... what the troops got ... water ! Anyway as far as I know, her confidence now in place, she never succumbed to travel sickness again.

The point of the tale is that a placebo can, if suitably presented, be astonishingly effective when there is an underlying confidence issue propelling the illness (which is no less real for all that). If your aircraft - and crew! - be the ones I think they are, then granted you may have a somewhat higher-quality problem. In that case I have to side with homunculus' cautionary 'smarties' comment in respect of active medication; even good old, effective dimenhydrinate - "Dramamine" - which has been available over the counter for yonks (dunno now, the way we are heading even aspirin may be PoM ere long!) has side effects for a few subjects and potentially serious effects in case of certain nasty underlying diseases.

OTOH, thinking laterally: just supposing one had the bottle, it could be a fascinating experiment - and even possibly very beneficial - to test the effect on said felines' collective propensity to nausea, say by producing at preflight coffeetime a magic little dropper bottle ... swearing recipients to secrecy with a couple of dark hints about SF restricted stores ... sorry but you must not take this if you have bilhartzia or syphilis it could kill you .... etc. etc.... ;-)