PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EFATO and similar low level emergencies
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2002, 11:13
dgr4340

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EFATO and similar low level emergencies

EFATO and similar low level emergencies have been a big deal with me since I had an engine 'moment' during initial training years ago.

It became an even bigger deal last year, during refresher training. There I was dutifully practising EFATO drills and recitations, when two multi-thousand hour instructors took the wrong option during a low level emergency at Archerfield at died spectacularly. It really got to me - if they got it wrong when the pressure was on, what chance does a casual pilot like me have?

I don't think I am alone in this. A quick search of this site on "EFATO" got pages of hits. Even a stuffed shirt ATPL holder told me he got the horrors thinking about what a younger himself would have done during a real EFATO, back when he first started flying a Baron.

But I am a professional engineer so I came up with a device to allow the necessary training with all of the educative effect of low level EFATO etc training, but none of the risk. NB It is not a simulator, it all happens in your aircraft in flight.

But before I take it further, I need feedback and a reality check. How big a deal is it really? Out there in the big bad world? Is it something to discuss ad nauseum, like politics or football, or is it something that the people responsible for training will take steps over? Like spend money and change syllabi, for example?

NB I AM NOT TRAWLING FOR MONEY. I have that in hand I believe. What I need is decent information, which is even harder to come by, to write the business plan.