PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATPL Information
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2010, 21:30
BEagle

Received 276 Likes on 112 Posts
EASA and military pilot credits....

Contrary to earlier assurances from the CAA, I have just seen this from Flight Crew Licensing:

The regulation that brings Part-FCL into force will include provision for military pilots to be given credit for military training and experience when making application to the national authority (of the State for whom they serve) for EASA licences. However, the terms must be established by compiling a report that compares the military training with Part FCL and identifies the additional training and experience required for military pilots to comply with Part FCL. This report, together with the proposed crediting terms must be agreed by EASA. There is therefore no guarantee that the existing UK terms for Qualified Service Pilots as set out in LASORS will continue beyond the date that Part-FCL becomes mandatory.
The €urocratic lunacy of EASA might pose a risk as FCL state; however, this is far from certain. So I wouldn't panic - but I would recommend anyone capable of doing so to secure an ATPL before April 2012 when this €uro-stupidity comes into effect.

However, military pilot accreditation was primarily introduced as a recruiting and retention incentive. So it behoves whoever is left at whatever passes for Learning Command these days to ensure that the 'report' is well crafted and not subject to the usual British reserve or understatement.

But, in an era when even experienced ME co-pilots are having to 'hours build' on spamcans because they don't have the 70 hrs PIC required for CPL issue, I can only hope that the current LASORS D3.3 terms are not eroded.