PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Visual Approach Question
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2010, 19:51
OA32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is one of my pet hates, a few of my fellow controllers clear a/c for a visual approach but give a restriction, which in my mind leads to more confusion. If you can't clear them for the visual approach without a restriction then say something else. ie own navigation right/left base runway 09 maintain 3000' until advised. then say cleared for the visual approach when the confliction no longer exists. On many occasions I have had pilots come back and ask me if they can descend or if it's un-restricted because of the confusion caused by other controllers not using correct phraseology. At best this leads to more r/t time at worst this could lead to something more dangerous occuring.

If you are cleared for the visual approach in the UK then you can descend and navigate at your discretion subject to noise abatement. The only restriction that should be given in conjunction with it relates to traffic, ie ' (Insert Callsign) cleared visual approach nbr (2) following the (737) (caution wake turbulence recommended distance is ... miles)

OA32