PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How many people use a smartphone for "everything"?
Old 3rd Oct 2010, 16:11
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ipad Ipad Ipad
Do you mean

- you use it for 3 different tasks
- you use it 3 times a day
- you use it 3 times before each flight
- you have three of them, in case the others get stolen / crash / etc

?

I am a particular fan of paper in the cockpit - although I keep playing: I'm going to have a go at checklists on my Sony Reader sooner or later, and there's a remarkable amount can be done on a Garmin.
I started this thread re preflight stuff, not airborne stuff, but I too prefer paper in the cockpit. It cannot fail, which obviously cannot be said for any electronic device, so any electronic device needs to be backed up, which takes one back to carrying two of something... which is one big reason why I won't use the Ipad, because it is good for one thing only when airborne: displaying approach plates (a document reader basically) and what will one back it up with? Another Ipad? The Kindle DX (or a similar ebook reader)?

It is easy to show awesome functionality of some piece of electronics, but one is for ever stuck to using it as the backup for some other system, which in the GA context is probably going to be paper printouts for the planned/filed route.