PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Homebuilt aircraft engine choice
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2002, 10:04
ETOPS773

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The engine would be mounted behind the cockpit (such as in a mid engined car layout),and could probably get put some sound proofing around the bulkhead/firewall,cockpit side,but yes cockpit noise would be higher than a dedicated aviation engine we`d expect.

I agree the diesel engines are looking quite good on alot of fronts,but again the aviation ones cost mega £££,a person involved can get a brand new subaru unit for under £3k shipped in from asia,so thats why we`re looking at this one in particular with so much interest.

A gearbox will be needed,but the advantage of a turbocharged engine is they can be tuned to develop alot of power at quite low rpm compared to normally aspirated engines.So I think 4500 RPM would be "screaming" for what we need.The biggest noise from what I predict would be the incuction / exhaust note,as the modern day auto engines are very quiet.

A smaller turbocharger usually gives you immediate kick and will bounce you upto 4-5000 rpm in a car very quickly,then begin to tail off.this is favourable compared to the larger ones,have quite a bit of lag..definately a "dead" done upto 2500 rpm,then begin to feed in until you reach 3500-4000 rpm and its a non stop almighty surge of power upto the red line,usually 8000 rpm. That would be useless!!

Can just imagine,O-DEER trying to go around to avoid a rogue plane rolling on the runway,only to have to wait 5-6 seconds for the turbo to kick in whilst descending...then off like the starship enterprise when the turbo kicks in...geesh!!!

Last edited by ETOPS773; 14th Aug 2002 at 10:16.