PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - European Adherance Day?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2010, 14:01
flowman

Time merchant

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@kontroler
"But they don't know where the congestion is",
They DO know where the congestion is, the reg i/d is contained in the slot message and the location is plotted on the map in the NOP, that's how they file levels to avoid these areas as you indicated!

"CFMU could be the source and initiater of level-changes on route to avoid congestion"
The CAMES project was designed to look at the feasibility of exactly such a procedure. It has since become referred to as STAM (short term ATFCM measures). I believe, ironically, one of the stumbling blocks is the legality of ATC changing the FPL to reflect the type of measures you describe!

"precise speed control via Datalink for sequencing"
They do this in the USA and I have proposed it for Europe. Politically it would be a complete nightmare to introduce but I firmly agree with you that it is an excellent way to regulate traffic. The US controllers speak very highly of it. It is done by some ACCs already, Munich for one in collaboration with Vienna. To be most effective it needs to be applied over long distances, in Europe that means over many states, so perfect for CFMU. It would take years to be accepted though and even longer to raise the money I suspect.

Politics is never far away from European ATFCM.

Last edited by flowman; 3rd Oct 2010 at 14:43.