PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pre-Flight Briefing Availability/Question
Old 3rd Oct 2010, 13:20
rotorblades

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi All,
An interesting few points raised by everyone, thanks for your time.
It seems that the info is there & readily available, but a few (hopefully the minority) seem that it is too much work to read them, for the sake of 10mins or so astounds me.
In ATC we have to go throught the NOTAMs (3 times a day), TLIs, NICs, DIRs, SDs plus all the weather stuff - 99% of them not pertinent to our area of operations.
I find a highlighter pen works really well for sorting the seed from the chaff in NOTAMs. Highlight the ones pertinent to my airspace (or on your planned route). If you have to divert or cahnge route after airborne and go to a different airfield ask the area frequency for pertinent AD (aerodrome) Notams and whether any restricted airspace on your new route. You may have to wait a few minutes for ATC to request the relevant notams out of the system and then get a spare time to evaluate amnd then transmit them to you.
You may get a few groans/heavy sighs from the controller, but it is our job now that they've pretty much done away with flightwatch.
And I would rather pilots do that, its alot les hassle for me than if you plough through R564A/B (Singleton firing range) and I have to sweat for 5 mins waiting for the RSO to answer the phone so I can stop them firing missiles & other ordnance onto the range & into an unknown VFR)

On the weather I can see where plain english could be used, but I must admit most of the info is fairly easy to understand, even for a laymen like me.

I think this is a can of worms, but well worth exploring, but just maybe one pilot who didnt used to read the NOTAMs has seen this thread and will now on pre-brief better, and it may save a life or two.
CHeers
Alex