PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Am I mad???
Thread: Am I mad???
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2010, 08:13
pilotmike

Received 73 Likes on 21 Posts
Prophead makes some excellent points which dispell much of the 'perceived wisdom' and general myths peddled by the uninformed masses:

Myth - Integrated is faster

Myth - You're too old at 38

Myth - It is harder to get a job if you trained Modular.

Fact: Integrated goes at ONE speed - modular goes at YOUR speed.

Fact: You are NOT too old in your 40s

Fact: Good, well trained pilots are employable whichever way they trained.

To put some meat on the bones of these facts, take my route to Commercial flying, getting my first job as FO flying jets aged 43:

I completed my modular training in just 8 months, from ordering a Groundschool course, to completing ATPL exams, CPL, multi, IR and MCC. OK, so I did this full time, without the encumberance of a job, but anyone who insists that 'Integrated is faster' is not being honest.

I started modular training age 43 and was flying a passenger jet just 1 year later age 44. Thankfully my age closed the door to any chance with the ever-popular route to flying with a Ryanair SSTR, so I was forced to focus my efforts on other opportunities which undoubtedly have turned out to be more rewarding.

The modular / integrated debate never was an issue whatsoever. It has never been mentioned or nor has it affected me at all.

The 2 key issues for me were the ability to be flying commercially within 1 year of starting training, and the total cost of training being considerably under £40,000. Neither of these would have been possible had I chosen an integrated course.

As already said - if you're at all serious about becoming a pilot, go do a trial flight, and go get a class 1 medical!