PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Arrow IV W&B CG Too Forward
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2010, 04:02
john_tullamarine

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
I meant CG range, sorry, english isn't my native language.

I guessed as much. Don't worry about the native tongue .. there have been occasions (generally late at night) when no-one has been able to understand my talking in tongues ...

Basic Empty Weight and CG: 1808 lbs (820.24 kg) / 79.96 in (2.031 m)
Basic Empty Weight and CG: 1 876.6 lbs (851.2 kg) / 82.24 in (2.089)

I've weighed quite a few of these over the years - unfortunately I don't have my archive records with me so I can only be generic - but those figures look pretty typical in range for this class of aircraft. The CG, especially, will depend on configuration .. ie what is fitted and where it is bolted down.

According to both aircraft serial numbers and the AFM, they are the latter ones produced, so I suppose there shouldn't be a large discrepancy.

If we are looking at the basic model build as it comes out of the factory, the numbers should be similar. However, each owner tends to spec his/her bird up with this and that and the end result can become significantly variable across the fleet.

I was actually putting in question the maintenance personnel who did the latest Empty Weight and CG measurement,

Sure, the weigh or calculation can be in error but probably not the root cause of the apparent discrepancy. Best thing is to go back to the folk who weighed the aircraft and get them to double check the records. For instance, what was the previous weigh data ? and can any variation between weighs largely be accounted for by weight variation records ? In any case a reweigh is pretty easy and cheap to do .. if the doubt lingers redo it.

all I hear here from supposedly more experienced pilots is that W&B for these aircraft are all wrong

I suggest that pilots are not the font of wisdom for such matters.

they tell me that there was probably an AFM revision update

simple enough to check with the local OEM agent what the current POH status is.

I never really knew of any aircraft that had such a manufacturer AFM revision to CHANGE the envelope of the aircraft, or in other words, to actually change the CG range

That would be unusual but not at all impossible. However, the TCDS would be expected to change as well.

the original AFM is nowhere to be found

then what POH is in the aeroplane ?

I dropped my jaw.

so would I .. and I certainly would cross that instructor off my list of acceptable instructors

But with so many persons here telling me this, I was questioning my judgement.

Why ? From the sound of things you are adopting an appropriate level of concern. Main thing now is for you to resolve that concern -

(a) check the status of whatever POH you are using - make sure it is applicable and current

(b) check with whoever did the last reweigh or calcs re any silly errors

(c) if necessary, reweigh the bird

I think it's a dead serious matter

Yes, indeed. Plenty of folks have been killed very dead as a result of weight and balance errors.