PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions II
View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2010, 23:15
Betty girl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel

Diplome,
I think the strikers feel very let down mostly because they feel an injustice has been done to them in their staff travel being taken away. Now I know they were warned but working with them, you can feel the resentment they all feel and how let down by BA, by people like me that worked, particularly by other staff who worked as VCCs and most of all by pilots that worked as VCCs. They blame us all and not Bassa for the mess they have found themselves in. In their eyes it is all of us that caused their strike to fail.

The rest of us like me, that worked, do feel better about things but there is real fear in all crew that our working agreements will go in the future too. Although BA are saying they have no plans to change the way we work, we all feel like we are just numbers not people now. Mr. Walsh has managed to create a feeling among all crew that all he cares about is getting the cheapest crew possible. No longer do we feel valued as professional crew, we are now just any old crew, the cheaper the better. There has always been great pride in crew that we will go the extra mile for our customers and I think most still do but we don't feel appreciated by our employer any more. For the last year we have been publicly criticised for being paid the wage that BA agreed to pay us and humiliated in the media by our own employer and openly told that he thinks we are overpaid. So that is why even non strikers feel unappreciated and scared about the future. Unfortunately we have been led by a completely useless union that has made everything much worse.
The strange thing about all this is that the most demotivated crew on line at the moment are the Temporary crew. They have been badly treated by BA over the last 6 months and it is those crew, that are moving to Mixed fleet!!

Another interesting fact that you may not be aware of is that Iberia crew are paid a lot more that BA cabin crew, so too are their pilots. They also work to far more expensive and more restrictive agreements than BA cabin crew, who are in fact, when compared to most other Flag carriers in western Europe, the cheapest. So it is going to be interesting to see what happens when Mr. Walsh is in charge of Iberia as well as us.

Hope that explains what I meant.