PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways vs. BASSA (current Airline Staff Only)
Old 2nd Oct 2010, 22:13
who came first

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's all over?

I'm surprised that so many strikers believe that the dispute must end with a 'negotiated settlement'.

Management have been handed far more than they expected by an incompetent BASSA leadership. OK it came at a not inconsiderable cost but BA are not going to negotiate away a hard won victory.
We all know that any more strikes would be futile and that despite what they may say publicly, Unite are not interested. BA has an army of volunteers now and have not invested millions on SEP and service training for nothing. There's no support from other Unite branches within BA ("I'd rather s*ag a loader than a scab").

Haneda and Buenos Aires will cost many times New Fleet pay should they use current crew so there's no chance that will happen. More threats from BASSA are just empty and only BASSA members who believe everything their leaders say think otherwise. I'll be surprised if BA ever meets with BASSA again.

BA offered current LHR crew a very generous pay guarantee this summer which they knew strikers would refuse. They can afford to pay this guarantee in future years as only just under 1000 signed up for it, ie less than 10%. Most of us believe that in spite of earlier guarantees, BA will gradually pull premium routes from current crew saying that the strikes made it inevitable. And staff travel? What advantage is there to BA to give it back? Sadly, none. Everyone who finds it too difficult to come to work can be replaced with someboby for less than half the cost.

So what can current crew do? BA might be more inclined to meet if the current leadership of BASSA was removed by the members but that's not going to happen. Over the last few years the BASSA leaders have altered the rules so that you need to be a rep for many years before you can even stand for election to key positions.

I have many crew friends who do not deserve this. Most crew are excellent at their job and I believe their justified reputation increases tickets sales, but I think the BASSA leaders have conned their members for their own selfish purposes.

The fat lady is stirring.