PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bucks New university plus CCAT
View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2010, 17:51
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
These combined degrees can often have their place, they just need to be serious about all and any academic content they're delivering: this may well not be the case at BCUC.
Flying is a vocational qualification not academic. So what bits do you miss out of a degree to fit in the vocational bit. I can't think of anything that could have been trimmed from my Mech Eng course apart from Economics but that was only an hour a week in 1st year.

Yes I know in our acredited Degrees we had to go to the workshops and fanny around with welding, machining and other such hands on engineering type things. But we wern't trained to be good at it just have exposure to the methods.

I can see the point of an Aero getting up to say solo but the ATPL theory is utterly useless. It would be like training Mech Engs up to be able to weld a occluded stainless 9g or Machine an engine block from a billet.

I must admit though the Language skills combo I am quite happy with. Certainly on my course the languages were only taken in the elective slots when the rest of us were doing the application type courses. But the core course and subjects were the same. If the course was setup so that to do the languages you missed out on core subjects it would be pants.

If your going to train to be an Engineer do it. If you want to train as a Pro Pilot take the vocational course. If you want to follow in Neil Armstrongs or Genghis footsteps you build your knowledge and skill sets up on firm foundations. A degree which is a taster of several subjects/displines which takes you to a low knowledge base in all of them isn't a firm foundation.

Although a lack of technical competence seems to be an advantage in a great number of industry's for gaining a managment position.