PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'Phase advance filter'
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2002, 04:12
3top

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hello again,

1) I find the R-22 rrpm/erpm gauge just fine, as you see immediately if both needles are where they are supposed to be.
Contrary for example in the EC120B with less than optimal light you might need more than a split second to check nr/nf. (regular "two needle on one dial" layout, though with analog circular bar display)

2) Dave, watch out that you donīt design all the fun out of the helicopter! I understand your desire to built the ultimately safe and easy to fly helicopter, but maybe if a helicopter is NOT so easy to fly, it might be safer, as not so many people get into the air. I believe it is good that certain people drop out of training, because they realize, it is not their thing.
The problem is, even if the machine is easy to fly, it still will able to do all the nice things you can do with a helicopter, but no matter how safe it is, performance limits will still apply to it, and there it is where people finally get in trouble (airplanes need a minimum speed to fly - you can train a monkey for that. Well you also can train a monkey to fly a helicopter straight and level...), behind the powercurve is way more critical in a helicopter than in an airplane,...my opinion...

Where is the challenge if the pilot canīt do anything wrong anymore!!

Besides even if everything is electronic (lightweight...), for a R22 size or smaller helicopter every ounce counts. On the S-92 it doesnīt matter as the weight of these sensors and actuators have a very low percentage of the gross weight.

3) And once more:
You have plenty of time in the R22 to react and check the rrpm, just do it as they show you in the safety course: DO NOT slam the collective, rather push it smoothly down, ALL while you ALSO pull slightly back on the cyclic, remember ENERGY MANAGEMENT - trade some speed for lift!! Go practise, youīll see!!

Basically it comes down to training - get a THOROUGH checkout and you should never be in a sorrow place!

3top,