PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways vs. BASSA (current Airline Staff Only)
Old 1st Oct 2010, 16:45
Runway vacated

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It seems to me that the only reason ST has been an efective weapon against this particular group of employees is precisely because the strike had such marginal support. If there had been solid support from ALL those who voted "Yes" then the return of ST could have been a precondition of a return to work.

The fact that the strike was called on such a flimsy pretext, and given the predilection of BA CC for being long on words but short on action, once the numbers of strikers were known it was a no brainer that the withdrawl of ST would be permanent. None of those who went to work were ever going to risk their own ST to get back the ST of the strikers. That remains the case to this day and UNITE, BASSA and WW know it.

As for numbers, BASSA may have a headcount of, say, 9,500, but don't forget that a significant number of tnose people are part time on 50% or even 33% contracts. It stands to reason that one recruit onto MF could potentially do the work of 3 'legacy' crew, which only further undermines the industrial muscle of
BASSA.

And can I just add that, for the umpteenth time, you CAN be fired for taking legal (protected) industrial action. It will just be automatically deemed 'unfair dismisal' and attract a statutory payment, but you will be out of a job never the less. No amount of 'I know my rights' BASSA BS will change this fact. If you take part in unprotected action you have no such recourse.