PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bucks New university plus CCAT
View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2010, 16:30
Genghis the Engineer

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
Two reasons why I see the point:

(1) Somebody may want to be an aviation professional, but hasn't yet clarified in their mind what profession within aviation.

(2) An aeronautical engineer who understands flying, or a pilot who understands aeronautical engineering may well end up much better at their job than somebody with only one knowledge base.

[Or they may have ambitions to be an oddball like me - a multitasking Chartered Engineer and CPL who refuses to give up either engineering or flying, and gets great satisfaction from both. There are a few of us about.]

Incidentally, given that students arrive at university knowing not a lot about aeroplanes, the PPL syllabus at-least is a pretty good "bought in" package of aeronautical knowledge.

When I was teaching on one of these degree courses we had a (very good) RAF sponsored student, streamed pilot. Part way through their degree a medical threw up a problem preventing them becoming an RAF pilot (fine for civil, but they were set on an RAF career). Rolling with the punch, they switched to engineering branch and was last heard of en-route to Cranwell happy to pursue a career as an engineering officer who'd scratch the flying itch by flying privately. My money is on them ending up a Typhoon squadron SENGo with a certain amount of twin-sticker back seat time along the way and a private light single tucked into the corner of the hangar.

A good friend of mine who I studied alongside did Aeronautical Engineering with French, and now works as an engineering manager in a multinational where the language skills are much needed.

These combined degrees can often have their place, they just need to be serious about all and any academic content they're delivering: this may well not be the case at BCUC.

G