PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can I become a pilot?
View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2010, 15:07
airtragicdubai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Niktarr,

Looking into the profession is fairly daunting with the amount of different choices available to get to the left hand seat in a passenger aircraft (frozen ATPL). Much as this topic may have been covered a lot on PPrune, the industry is an ever changing profession and it is good to seek advice both positive and negative from other professional pilots/wannabe's on the forum. The individuals who are giving unhelpful comments, should not bother commenting at all.

I too am of the same age range and am starting to change my career into this field. Whilst pilot recruitment isn't a flowing area at the moment, it will take 18months or so to change and the forcast economy will hopefully change in favour once you reach graduation stage.

Best way in becoming a pilot; i don't believe there is a right answer, the main two options being modular or integrated. Integrated being considerably more expensive but with the advantage of continuous learning to diminish skillfade, whereas modular is cheaper and most sections can be optained whilst still in a full time job.

Covering costs; either save up for it, which could take a long time - but makes modular route more suitable as you can do it in stages or securing a loan against a property your own/parents. Banks don't seem to be interested in these sort of loans in the current climate.

There is no guarantee of employment after completion of training but with the aircraft orders due to come on line/retirements in the next 2-4 years then optimism is fairly good, Emirates airlines recruitment of 700 pilots over the next 12-18 months should hopefully see UK airlines losing senior members to Emirates and allow newbies to find employment.

To be an airline pilot is a dream anyone can achieve but will take a huge amount of dedication and patience.

PM me if you want advice on the route i am currently taking