PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I am thinking of persuing a Helicopter Pilot career... Help!
Old 1st Oct 2010, 12:54
Wirbelsturm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I worked for many a year in the Helicopter industry. It is a difficult one to break into if you don't have military training or a couple of thousand hours in a twin turbine!

I left to go to the airlines as the terms and conditions nose dived due to a pleathora of young pilots writing to companies begging them to let them fly their shiny gas turbine helicopters for free, then give them a paid contract.

You can imagine the mess that left the industry in!

That is, now, history and, from friends still vibrating around the skies, the conditions are improving once again. The reason for this little story? There are lots of helicopter pilots with lots of experience waiting for the HEMS/SAR/PAS jobs already. There are many who are willing to take on the FI role to build hours and hopefully get offered a turbine position when they have the experience.

Helicopters are expensive to fly, maintain and operate thus the overheads for an operator are greater and the insurance a nightmare leading to the equivalent wage being lower than that offered by an airline.

Think very, very carefully before commiting to spending an ungodly amount of money getting a silver book that 'could' be useless unless you have the right (expensive) TR on it. I would look at the Squirrel for example.

Good luck in whatever you decide.